When people ate this scrumptious banana bread and didn’t know it was vegan or gluten-free … that’s when you know you can call your recipe ‘The Best Gluten Free Vegan Banana Bread’! 😉
This amazing banana bread was created after lots of testing of different gluten-free flours over a few months. It was very tricky to find a gluten-free flour that also worked really well without eggs or butter though.
One of the things I tested out is the Multigrain All Purpose Plain Flour with Quinoa. It is hands down the best gluten-free flour for baking with. A healthy blend of maize starch (non-GMO corn), rice flour, quinoa flour, millet flour, tapioca starch and rice bran (check out how those grains are good for you here); it totally made the texture of this banana bread to-die-for!
The best things about this banana bread is that not only does it have that wonderful banana bread flavour with walnuts throughout, but it has a texture that is dense yet with a fluffy crumb and a supremely satisfying crunchy crust. Slice it up, toast it and smear a little coconut oil on top and you have the BEST little snack treat with a cup of coffee or tea. Nom noms!
- 3 large or 4 small very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 100ml organic coconut milk
- 100g organic coconut oil
- 1 cup Orgran Multigrain All Purpose Plain Flour with Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup coconut sugar or raw sugar
- 100-15og chopped walnuts (or any nut you prefer)
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 170°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash up the bananas with a fork.
- In a small bowl, mix the chia seeds and coconut milk together.
- Whisk in the coconut and chia seed mixture, melted coconut oil, psyllium husk, vanilla extract, spices, salt and baking powder to the mashed banana. Add the sugar and whisk well to combine.
- Mix in the flour and quinoa flakes until you have a thick mixture. Fold in the walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into a coconut oil greased loaf tin (I used a silicone one), and press it down, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, until the top is browned.